While studying on ISA semester programs in London, students are able to participate in an internship through the University of Westminster, King’s College London or the University of Roehampton. While each university offers different placement options and locations throughout the city, all internship placements have a few things in common:
- Students must be accepted on the ISA study abroad program to participate in an internship through the host university.
- Students will receive academic credit on their final transcript alongside your regular academic classes.
- All placements are part-time and unpaid.
- Students must apply for and receive a Tier 4 student visa.
- Internship placements are competitive and most employers require an interview before offering an internship position at their organization.
See more information below about each university or visit our Service-Learning/Internship webpage.
University of Westminster: The internship placements at this university are offered during both the fall and spring semesters. All students must also submit an additional internship application. Example subject areas include:
- Catering Management
- Charities and NGOs
- Hotels and Hospitality
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (IT)
- Public Relations
If accepted, students are required to take the Professional Experience in Business Context module worth 15 UK credits (4 US credits) alongside three other classes at the university. Additionally, you will be expected to complete approximately 15-20 hours per week over two to three days at your internship site. The University of Westminster has an Internship Coordinator who will work with each accepted student on the step by step process of securing a placement. Most placements are secured before a student departs for their program or within the first week of arrival.
- Students are expected to gain professional self-awareness through observation, participation and analysis of professional activities as well as through interaction with colleagues in a work environment.
King’s College London: Internship opportunities at King’s College are only offered during the spring semesters. Placements are available in the following areas:
- Applied Science
- Policy/Human Rights
Students should indicate their interest to participate in the internship program within the first line of their letter of intent. Upon successful completion of the Internship module, students will receive 15 UK credits (4 US credits) on their official transcript. Alongside 3 other modules and the internship modules, students are expected to complete approximately 120-150 hours of work at their placement. Most students secure their placement after working closely with the King’s College London internship team after their arrival in London.
Students will receive training which offers important insights on cultural integration, the world-of-work, life and politics in the buzzing capital.
University of Roehampton: Internship opportunities are only offered during the spring semesters at the University of Roehampton. This program aims to help students begin to make the successful transition from academic study to a career in their chosen field. Example subject areas include:
- Arts Administration
- Broadcast Media
- Events Management
- Newspaper and Magazine Journalism
- Media Education
- Public Relations
Students must select the London Internship in Media and Culture module to indicate they wish to participate in the internship program. Upon successful completion of the Internship module, students will receive 20 UK credits (4-5 US credits) on their official transcript. All students must enroll in additional modules to complete their academic requirements.
- Students will spend 12 weeks in an academic setting followed by a 4 week placement. The course will include a series of lectures, seminars, workshops, tutorials, visiting speakers, training sessions in relevant skills and tools before their placement begins. Students will interview with potential employers for the beginning of the semester to secure a placement.
For additional information on London Internships through the host universities, please contact the England Site Specialist Tayler Gill at email@example.com.