5 Easy Steps to Fit in while in Prague:
- Do as the Czechs do. Yes, this implies a lot, but take a second to pay attention to when and where they cross streets, how they greet each other, and even how to get on and off public transportation. You’ll feel more in place, I know I did.
- Dress smart. It’s a nice change up from our usual attire at colleges and universities in the US anyways.
- Quiet down and take it in. We quickly realized our American accents were the only voices we could hear in metros, trams, and buses. There’s plenty to see out the window, take a look instead of chatting (and definitely take Tram 5 on a loop around the city if you’re in the mood for some fairy tale views).
- Learn some basic Czech words. I promise it will be much appreciated by locals. Not to mention “ahoj!” is a pretty fun word to say.
- Get outdoors. Prague is a beautiful city with parks scattered all over. Locals seem to enjoy being active and exploring just as much as travellers do.