By Cori Cummings, ISA India Site Specialist
Part of your experience as a student who is studying abroad is the opportunity to travel while being on an academic program. India’s vast diversity of people, religions and geographic landscape means there’s endless weekend travel opportunities for students on the ISA Hyderabad program.
Here’s some tips of things you may not have thought to bring, and suggestions of what to see where to stay!
Beach – Goa is a beautiful white sand beach on the west coast of India, and is easily accessible from Hyderabad by plane.
- What to bring: Walking shoes for activities off the beach, a designated “plane outfit” so you don’t travel back in your sandy beach clothes & yoga mat.
- What to do: Vanilla-Scented spice plantation, Elephant rides
- Where to stay: For a fun beach experience, check out the opportunity of staying in a beach hut.
Rural – Hampi village is a world heritage site and is actually located within the ruins of Vijayanagara.
- What do bring: Biking is the best way to get around the city so bring good shoes for that.
- What to do: Don’t miss the Virupaksha Temple.
- Where to stay: Virupapur Gaddi is just across the river from the Virupaksha Temple and has become the new hang out.
City – Varanasi is the infamous Indian city on the banks of the Ganges River and is one of the world’s oldest continually inhabited cities. Varanasi is the epitome of vibrant Indian color, beauty and history.
- What to bring: a sarong to bathe if you choose to do so!
- What to do: Spend time observing and taking everything in. Walk the riverfront steps of the ghats. Take a sunrise boat trip.
- Where to stay: There are some hotels located on the Ganges that provide stunning views of the Ganges. You can also check out bed and breakfast options as well.
Find out more about studying abroad in India with ISA.