It’s hard for me to believe that my first week here in Galway has come to a close. There is so much that I have experienced thus far, and so much more that I want to do! For those who are thinking of coming to Galway in the future, here are some of the things that I recommend for your first week.
1. Take a Tour of the City. The first thing that you should do is go on a tour of the city. For a small town girl like me, the city can be a tad overwhelming at first, and I was extremely grateful for the walking tour that I went on with my ISA group. Galway is also a city with a large amount of history, so the tour will not only show you your way around, but also give you a glimpse into what this beautiful city has seen through its years.
2. Go to Shop Street. Shop street is definitely the place to be if you’re looking for a good time. With so many shops and pubs lining the street, you’ll always find something new to experience!
3. Stop into Gino’s Gelato. If you’re looking for a real treat, make sure that you stop by Gino’s Gelato on Shop street. They have some of the best gelato that I have ever had, and trust me, I’ve had a lot. You can start off small with just one scoop, or you can go a little bit crazy and try up to three flavors at once! They have everything from lemon sorbet, to Nutella, and back again.
4. Try McDonagh’s Fish and Chips. When my guides told me that McDonagh’s has the best fish and chips in Ireland, I thought that they couldn’t possibly be telling me the truth. Boy, was I wrong! McDonagh’s is simply amazing! You can choose from several different types of fish including cod, salmon, and sting ray. I went with the cod, and I was not disappointed. Make sure that you try it with brown sauce though if you want a truly tantalizing experience.
5. Just Have Fun. My last bit of advice is to just have fun. Throw out those lists and schedules and just go where the wind takes you. Galway is an amazing city with some truly remarkable people living within it. There is so much to see and do that you will never be bored.