To expand on International Studies Abroad’s (ISA) 25th year in the field of international education, students and resident staff at nine International Studies Abroad Spain offices gathered together to give back to local communities all over the country. From raising awareness to gathering food donations to planting trees, ISA prides itself on our many volunteer projects, and we thank everyone for their time and efforts!
ISA Students Spend Time Volunteering Throughout Spain
In collaboration with the University of Salamanca’s office of Green Initiatives, ISA Salamanca helped:
- Create signage for bike parking at the university
- Develop a public service campaign on the negative effects of car usage
- Develop a public service campaign to raise awareness about the benefits of using bikes
In collaboration with the Food Bank of Cantabria, ISA Santander:
- Gathered food donations at a local supermarket.
- They collected 928 kilos of food!
In collaboration with city hall:
- Students and staff from ISA Málaga took a bus to Peñón del Cuervo to help clean the beach.
- They helped remove numerous bags of random trash over the course of the afternoon
In collaboration with a local food bank:
- ISA Bilbao helped raise awareness for a local food bank’s donation campaign by posting fliers around the city, sending informative emails and reaching out to friends
- Donations were collected in the ISA office
Student volunteers from ISA Granada helped with reforestation efforts in an area affected by wildfires in the Llano de la Perdiz park about an hour from Granada. The efforts were part of a larger project organized by the environmental office of the local government. The 40 volunteers from ISA Granada planted more than 130 trees—from spruce to pine—over the course of the day.
In collaboration with Fundación Gota de Leche and Hermanas de la Caridad del Pumarejo:
- Students helped to collect food donations for a food drive with a goal of collecting 250 kilos
- We’re proud to share our students exceeded their goal of 250 kilos!
In collaboration with Casa de Acogida de Mujeres Inmigrantes Dorothy Day:
- Students helped with a food donation campaign in November.
- Students were given a list of high need items and collected donations in the ISA office
- The ISA Valencia office then transported donations to the shelter
In collaboration with the Food Bank of Barcelona, students helped:
- The food bank in their efforts to collect 800,000 kilos of food to be distributed to those in need.
- Raise awareness of the effects of poverty
- Foster continued collaboration between food banks throughout the year.
In collaboration with Proyecto Hombre and Centro Español de Solidaridad:
- Students collected new and used toys.
Many thanks to the ISA resident staff in all of our Spain office for coordinating such a wonderful project for our students!