Hello to one and all!
Well I think that Prague is finally beginning to feel like home… kind of. I’m certainly doing better than the first day I got here, which consisted of little sleep and a lot of anxiety. Prague is a beautiful and very welcoming city, and now I find it hard to believe that I ever doubted my decision to come. I know the whole cultural shock thing will come in waves as I continue, but for right now I am so very happy to be here. Even just walking around and looking at the buildings is an experience in itself. There is so much history absorbed into the stones and streets, it seems unreal that I get to be a part of it!
Something that struck me about Prague’s history was something a guide said. His grandmother lived in one city her whole life, but seven different countries. That speaks for itself in the changes this city has been through. Yet through it all, the people of the Czech Republic seem to love their country, especially now that it is finally theirs for the keeping. That is one of the most rewarding things about being here, the dignity and pride of the Czechs! They are very quiet and reserved, but you can tell when you talk to them that they really love their heritage. And how could you not? When you walk around a city like this every day, you have to gain some ounce of pride. This is a city that has been won back by the people many times, AND they have a castle. The biggest one in the world to be exact.
So anyways, I would say this first week has been a good one. I am falling more in love with the city everyday, as well as Czech food. I wouldn’t be surprised if I came home at least fifteen pounds heavier- and I wouldn’t even care!
Wish me luck, and I’ll be back soon!
List of things I miss (so far):
- Using my debit card. I rarely carry cash and home, and here is, all cash, all the time!
- Free water in restaurants.
- Convenience of being able to go somewhere at 12 a.m. and get a milkshake!
List of things I don’t miss (so far):
- The constant noise and hubbub of American cities. Quiet hours are an amazing thing.
- People being stuck to their cellphones all the time. I’ve counted less than twenty people talking in public on one since Wednesday.
- Skyscrapers. Here they have architecture and sky!
Na shledanou! (Goodbye)
Prague, Czech Republic